The Slave Trade Is Alive and Well
"Beware department heads bearing gifts." - DebbyWe were given another stack of grading the other day: Optimist Club essays (which were not very good) written by high schoolers. We were paid in truffles (which were very good) and department head approval (which is also very good).
How little and yet how much in life do we have to choose! I had no choice but to grade the papers, yet I did choose to obey my boss, yet if I want to go on living as I have, I had better obey my boss, yet no one told me I must go on living as I have.
Uh oh, I think I have stumbled a little too far into free-will territory. If you follow these questions back (I suppose if you follow any questions back) you get a little philosophical.
Maybe my proclivity to procrastinate is a latent rebellion against the inhibition of choice caused by choices I've already made and the ones I hope to make in the future. [what?] I don't want to be a slave to the system, and the system is largely of my own making. Overcommitment anonymous, here I am! Guys? Anyone?
On a less important note, have you ever noticed...
...how it's much easier to catch a ride with someone out of Stephenville than in?
...how big a difference shoe choice makes in how comfortably and covertly one can descend stairs?
...how "simple" and "easy" are rarely the same thing?


2 Comments:
"Maybe my proclivity to procrastinate is a latent rebellion against the inhibition of choice caused by choices I've already made and the ones I hope to make in the future." Oh, I'm totally following you.
To answer your "less important" questions:
1.) Indeed, I have noticed that; very recently, in fact!
2.) I do know something about that. (But why would you want to be covert about descending stairs? Are you trying to avoid students in the Humanities building?)
3.) Absolutley.
I guess that's three for three!
Should have known Brandon would get here first. Bah.
Overcommitment? Aren't there meetings about that on Saturday nights at ten?
1) ...that's because people don't know where Stephenville is.
2) I have one word: heels. Then another: painful. And last: agreed.
3)I sometimes hate that that's true.
Post a Comment
<< Home