Self-Referentiality
I am at an academic conference. The chamelion effect is already taking hold, and I've only been at two sessions so far. The construct of social subjectivity abrogates the self-referential modalities of privileged discourses.....SMACK! Thanks.Last night, I went to a roundtable discussion about blogging. It was interesting, but not informative. The Ph.Ds who are writing books about the phenomenon had nothing more original to say than "Wow, lots of people are blogging now, and that's different than traditional newspaper journalism!"
No kidding.
The unsurprising conclusion was that blogs, like nearly every other new technological innovation, are an amoral tool. They are a powerful tool, but they are no more good or evil than the typists behind them. For some reason, the idea will not go away that there will someday be an invention that eliminates the need for people to exercise discernment and discipline.
Funny, because I'd say that idea should go far away.
Or, at least, the assumption of inherent value-judgment should sever affective ties with the bourgeois conception of linearity.


3 Comments:
If neocapitalist desituationism holds, we have to choose between submaterialist theory and Sartreist existentialism.
If one examines the precultural paradigm of reality, one is faced with a choice: either reject neocapitalist desituationism or conclude that narrative is created by the collective unconscious.
I want to hear all about it upon your return.
Perhaps it's time for me to start reading the dictionary instead of the Narnia books.
Post a Comment
<< Home