Wednesday, January 25, 2006

A Reader's Response to Proverbs

I am foolish. This is (I hope) not needless self-flagellation, but a real reflection upon truth. Are any of you foolish too?

I am foolish because I need deadlines for productivity. Maybe that's more like "sluggish."

I am foolish when my own comfort becomes my only concern in a situation in which self-focus runs counter to success.

I am foolish because I want wisdom but never seek it in a way that shows I really mean it.

I am foolish because I never offer apples of gold in settings of silver. If I come up with anything at all, it is usually more like steamed zucchini.

I am foolish for leaning heavily on my own understanding, despite repeated proofs of its inadequacy.

I am foolish because I only seem to shut up when I'm completely stumped.

3 Comments:

At Wed Jan 25, 08:47:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That comic is terrific. That students' GPAs would be improved if their professors were only happily romantically involved. I'm sure I've made very similar statements about some of my teachers when they're in an unpropitious mood ("unpropitious" towards me, that is). In fact, I'm certain I've made similar statements.

By the way, I just finished Amusing Ourselves to Death by Neil Postman. Good book; you should read it. Anyway, according to this book, Jonathan Edwards, besides being quite the preacher, was also nothing to sneeze at as an aesthetic theoretician: "Edwards was one of the most brilliant and creative minds ever produced by America. His contribution to aesthetic theory was almost as important as his contribution to theology."

Perhaps you should look into some of that. If you do, I'd be interested in your assessment of how much his Christian thinking influenced what he deemed beautiful.

 
At Fri Jan 27, 11:16:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Lynn,
I'm sorry I can't respond quite as "eloquetly" as Brandon did. My comment is more like the "ducky and horsey" variety, but my immediate thought was, "You are young--you should see MY list of foolishnesses after 78 years. I may finally get rid of one entry and then I add two more!" Ah, yes, praise God for His GRACE, MERCY and PATIENCE.

 
At Fri Jan 27, 09:59:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is a good distinction to say you are foolish;you are not a fool. To have foolish qualities isn't fatal...to be a fool is. (Prov. 14:16; Eccl 7:17) To know yourself foolish leaves hope for improvement.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home