"Dang Baby"
Cousin Javad, a three-week father, is the source of today's title quote.I like to try things I've never tried before. Most things. Things I know probably won't kill or significantly injure me or others. Because of this fascination, this last year has seen me at the rodeo, the lawnmower races, and the head of the classroom.
Motherhood doesn't match these criteria. My cousin and her husband have a newborn, and though their presence gave us an image of the Holy Family in prime season, I was not in any way jealous. Even they were disillusioned, to a point, with the responsibilities of parenthood. Sometimes that precious dang baby will wear his devoted parents down to the last thread of tolerance before they find him irresistible again.
I'm not signing up for that one.
But I am willing to try cross-country skiing. I had never been skiing, water or snow, until now. On Friday, my outdoors-y, athletic siblings and cousins decided to rent skis and head to the mountains. I don't usually go with them on their backpacking excursions, mountain climbs, or four-mile runs. I hate strenuous exercise, but I know it has to be done, and I figured skiing would be fun at least by novelty.
The snow bums who rented us the skis were actually more entertaining than the skiing itself. They measured us for correct ski and pole length, but didn't write anything down or remember what the measurements were. This didn't bother them in the slightest, even when one produced a hacksaw to create poles of proper length.
I expected to spend some time face-first in the snow, and I did. In addition to providing excitement and adventure, trying new things also does wonders for honing one's sense of humor. On my stomach in the snow with hopelessly tangled sticks on my feet, I was forced to remember the absurdity of my elevated opinion of myself. We all laughed a lot that day.
Thank God for giving humans the capacity to laugh. Otherwise we'd never try anything new.


3 Comments:
lol, That sounds fun to me. One of the first times I went snowboarding, I forgot my gloves and it took me at least two hours to make it down the first run. My hands were in the snow most of that time and I was NOT laughing. I think I even cried.
Oh yeah, and the baby thing isn't so bad after the first 2 months. =) At least, so far! I remember a few times really early having to go sit on the front porch and let Emily just scream in her crib because I was afraid I might squeeze her if I was in there.
Just wait until the baby is a year and a half...then he will really wear down even the most devoted parents. :) The first 2 months are relatively easier, yet not as rewarding as the next 16 months.
Post a Comment
<< Home