A Room of One's Own
I should probably at least read Virginia Wolff's work before I use her title. Yet I will use it, and without offering any justification but that the phrase has been scrolling through my head all day like a marquee.It was such a delicious anticipation. I was going to have a hotel room all to myself, far away from anyone who would know or care that I am here. I would lock myself away and do my own things without any supervision or burden of accomplishment. Think of all the reading I could get done!
Oh, it doesn't sound delicious? Well, if you don't know why it's delicious now, then I'm certainly not going to tell you why.
Okay; I'll try.
Exactly one year ago, I stayed in this same hotel (Hotel Blue, Albuquerque, NM) in a room with a single king bed with two other girls I didn't know. I had to walk here late at night after nearly 24 hours awake, but could not sleep because of my anticipation of the former, who did not arrive until the wee hours.
I didn't walk to the hotel alone last time; that was one aspect that did not improve this year. But it heightened the satisfaction of arriving safely at a fourth-floor room (of my own) and locking the world out.
I decided not to expect any work to get done. This conference is my time, for better or for worse. I even economized my packing by bringing very little of anything, let alone work.
And there is still an intangible and mysterious element to this satisfaction; none of the above reasons explains sufficiently why I am more relaxed here than I am at home. Perhaps novelty and departure from norms holds more charm than even I had guessed.
So here I am, sprawled out on one of the only king beds I've ever touched, surrounded by efficient and personality-challenged furniture. My suit for tomorrow's presentation is laid on the floor because I'm hoping not to have to use the complimentary iron. I can hardly wait to use the special little bottle of shampoo tomorrow morning.
Oh, yeah. The reason I'm here. Well, that post will just have to wait.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home