Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Moodiness

I have days of inexplicable gloom.

I can try to explain it, but language (supposedly "my thing") even fails me and everything sounds trite and whiny. When it goes this far, I can be quite a Qohelet: "Everything is meaningless. What does [wo]man gain from all h[er] labor at which [s]he toils under the sun?"

Then the sun rises again, and I soar upward with David: "The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance."

This Sunday and Monday came one of the worst such phases I've seen. And today is one of the best recoveries.

Why?

True friends stick around even though they don't know what to say to my Qohelet; they refrain from showing irritation by my David. I'm pretty impressed that I have any friends. Maybe they're just junkies for the excitement my moodiness offers, or maybe they've just mastered the golden rule. I know I sure don't enjoy hanging around human seismographs, but I still want to have sympathetic people available at all times.

So here's a shout out to my homies; if you didn't know you were paragons of agape, you're hereby notified. Please don't file this one with the fuzzy email forwards.

And always remember your own homies when you thank the Author of Every Good and Perfect Gift.

5 Comments:

At Tue Feb 28, 06:29:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes it's good to go to that "gloomy" zone...it gives us more compassion for those who must spend much of their lifetimes there...for whatever reason. It also gives one a "grand canyon" to soar over when the gloom lifts and the heart takes flight again. I love roller coasters anyway!

 
At Tue Feb 28, 07:34:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, does this mean that the "inexplicable" has occurred? : )

 
At Wed Mar 01, 11:19:00 AM, Blogger Samantha said...

Indeed it has.

Even so - human seismograph, my foot. :)

 
At Wed Mar 01, 02:40:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Human seismograph." I thought that was hilarious.

BDB

 
At Thu Mar 02, 12:29:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you have inherited some of my genes. The wonderful thing I discovered several years ago is that, after the roller-coaster effect (I hate rollercoasters)had come and gone many times, when I was in either extreme (especially the nadir) God assured me that "this too will pass". "Such knowledge is too wonderful for me." Blessings!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home