CV, STD, and XXXII
Shall I join STD?I haven't figured out how to use Greek characters in a blog, so the abbreviation of English honor society Sigma Tau Delta appears in its full glory here. I received a letter several days ago, inviting me to join this "international English honors society whose membership recognizes distinguished 'students of the English language and literature in undergraduate, graduate, and professional studies' who have achieved high standards of excellence in their college careers."
Unlike even Who's Who, they don't give you any idea of what these high standards are. The best clue I have is that the letter is printed on Strathmore 25% cotton paper and signed personally by the society sponsor.
The decision became a philosophical issue yesterday as I discussed it with two inductees from last year, who are now successful faculty members here at Tarleton. They both encouraged me to join, but didn't attempt to offer me a better reason than "it will look good on your CV."
(Just in case you live a long way away from academia, a CV, or curriculum vitae, is a resume for academics. Unlike its counterpart, it is supposed to be as long as you can make it. So I hear, at least.)
I have no desire to remain in academia. I have no desire to join a society which, here at least, does nothing but pad the CVs of scholars nationwide. I have no desire to pay the 50 bucks one must pay in order to accept this rarely-bestowed honor of membership. Actually, I'd only have to pay 45, since Brandon offered to kick in five bucks to see if that would make me join.
Finally, Ben broadsided me with my own ammunition. I had explained that if membership were free I would have no qualms with joining, like Who's Who or the Gold Key at LeTourneau. That way I would feel as if someone had gifted me rather than I had bought another couple of lines for my CV. Since the society doesn't actually do anything, I would feel that my CV would be an inaccurate reflection of who I am. I'm not the kind of person who wants to buy my way in with meaningless fluff to which I have no dedication.
But, like I said, Ben figured out my contradictions. Would Gold Key, which didn't do anything either, be an inaccurate reflection of who I am? I don't seem to have a problem padding my CV with other things that really have nothing to do with my commitments and principles.
I can't remember very clearly the reasons I didn't join STD when I was invited to do so at LeTourneau. They were similar, but they probably also had to do with the sponsor and some of the members. Plus, the form of courting they employed to woo me was precisely the kind that sets my contrariness ablaze.
Maybe I'll finally admit I'm cheap and cough it up. Maybe I'll just finally admit I'm cheap. Either way, my principled objections have been dismantled. Thanks a lot, guys.
Back to the original question: shall I join STD? What do you think?
(Boom Boom and Deekie: this one's for you. 32 years is a long time, but 23 of them seem to have flown by. You're my heroes!)


5 Comments:
I no longer want to kick Brandon. Actually I'm tempted to give him a great big hug.
Put me down for the next $5.
Don't do it! Run away!
The value in something like Gold Key is that it expresses others' appreciation of you. It does not say, "I am a valuable person because I did a cool thing"; rather, it says, "Some really amazing people think I'm cool."
But STD? In addition to humiliating acronyms, all it will say is, "I've got MONEY! Also, I am a sheep!" I'm sure some chapters have valuable programs and experiences, but it doesn't sound like yours is one.
Instead, save your money for a English nerds reunion!
"... a English nerds reunion."
Hooray.
Try to get all of your posthumous medals in advance
---fortune
I vote no. It's like in high school when they wanted you to order that "who's who" book that had your name listed in about 6 pt font somewhere in it, along with zillions of other folks. Ya gotta wonder exactly where that money goes.
Post a Comment
<< Home