Monday, August 29, 2005

The University Instructor

"You need a mantra," said Brandon, my colleague.

I already had one. After waking up this morning at 5:00 and being unable to turn my brain back off, I opened to the Psalms and looked up one of Dr. C's favorite verses, one he recently sent me again. "With your help I can advance against a troop; with my God I can scale a wall" (18:29).

It is hard not to view my students as the enemy army, one I must outmaneuver if I'm going to emerge from the fray alive. It was comforting to repeat this verse over and over to myself, knowing that if God can handle a troop, he can deal with 25 freshmen; if I can scale a wall, then I certainly can find Business 186.

My first class of 25 (12 girls) was very good, and though the second of 15 (4 girls) was not exactly worse, I sensed that it might be in the future. I don't want to believe that the gender ratio predicts the success of the class, but so far the pattern seems to hold. I managed to contact a student who had been dropped from the roll and help him get permission to overfill the first class by one. He seemed like someone worth having in class, but I plan to hold him to his Christian t-shirt.

I suppose you could call it a mantra, but I prefer to think of it as a soundtrack.

4 Comments:

At Tue Aug 30, 04:43:00 AM, Blogger tank said...

I dreamed about you last night. Apparently we went to church together, and we were an hour early...at 7am. And I went home and left you there because...I don't know, but I didn't wake up til 7:30pm, so I was gonna go back to meet you for the 8am service, then realized that it was evening already, and I couldn't find my car anywhere. I'm sorry about forgetting you. Heh.

 
At Tue Aug 30, 05:30:00 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

Well, you missed out on some pretty good services. Hope you found your car.

 
At Tue Aug 30, 05:41:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

beekie, nice BLOG! Was finding Business 186 like scaling a wall? I'm very proud of you. -- Joel

 
At Wed Aug 31, 04:29:00 PM, Blogger lil diamond said...

thanks for that verse ms. lynn... seems like there are a lot of walls to scale.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home