Shut Up and Know
Silence is golden.And quite intimidating.
The complete disappearance of my voice yesterday left me powerless to communicate in my usual mode: lots. If I think something, I usually end up saying it eventually, although I would like to believe my timing is getting better. I have even managed not to say a few of those things in my lifetime.
Again, as usually happens with this voice-loss (it happens about once a year), I reflected upon the benefits of silence. The first thing I always think of is Psalm 46:10, the "be still and know" passage. This time, I wondered and sought out the context for the verse.
Psalm 46: 4-11
New International Version, Annotations by LMS
There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God,
the holy place where the Most High dwells.
God is within her, she will not fall;
God is within her, she will not fall;
God will help her at break of day.
My name may not be biblical, but it is certainly flexible. I have scarcely seen two different name-meaning products that give my name the same definition, but most of the time they draw upon the idea of water: "refreshing one," "encourager," "pool beneath a waterfall," even "beautiful." This reference to the river and the female pronouns for God's city made these verses mine today. I have a great fear of falling, both literally and otherwise, but as a citizen of God's city I cannot fall. I may even be able to be part of that cool river.
Nations are in uproar, kingdoms fall;
he lifts his voice, the earth melts.
The Lord Almighty is with us;
The Lord Almighty is with us;
the God of Jacob is our fortress.
Selah
Come and see the works of the Lord,
Come and see the works of the Lord,
the desolations he has brought on the earth.
He makes wars cease to the ends of the earth;
He makes wars cease to the ends of the earth;
he breaks the bow and shatters the spear,
he burns the shields with fire.
God seems pretty busy. He has a lot of things to do so that the ending comes out the way it's supposed to come out. I don't understand all of Revelation, and I don't believe anyone else does either. But I do know one thing: God wins, and all you have to do to win too is choose his side. God doesn't seem very silent, quiet, still, or any other synonym one might find. That applies to everyone else:
"Be still, and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth."
The Lord Almighty is with us;
The Lord Almighty is with us;
the God of Jacob is our fortress.
If that idea of the fortress is repeated three times in the short psalm, it must be taken seriously. The stillness is directly related to it. I don't need to make myself heard in order to secure victory over the influences in my life that seem devoted to destroying me. God's the one making the noise, and he certainly doesn't say he might be exalted in the earth. He will win. When he does, so will I.
Neither Moses nor I need worry about not being able to speak.


3 Comments:
Yes, you are a refreshing one. And I'm sorry that I can't be there to make fun of the fact that you can't talk. I always enjoyed that ;)
This comment has been removed by the author.
Let us hope that this comment does not come too late. But, this blog was indeed a good one. There are several things I like about it. If it may be forgiven, I will not put them in coherent paragraphs but will opt instead to enumerate them in a list.
1.) This time, I wondered and sought out the context for the verse. God bless you.
2.) I have scarcely seen two different name-meaning products that give my name the same definition. "That was [my] assessment as well" when it comes to viewing name-meaning products. Mine have been "from the broom hill," "hill of broom," or even, "beacon light." The latter, I think, is the metaphorical meaning. (So, it appears, you're watery, and I'm weedy.)
3.) God seems pretty busy. You're so funny.
4.) I don't understand all of Revelation, and I don't believe anyone else does either. *nods head, no words needed* ;)
5.) If that idea of the fortress is repeated three times in the short psalm, it must be taken seriously. Thank you for pointing this out. I had not noticed this.
6.) Neither Moses nor I need worry about not being able to speak. "Who made [Lynn's] mouth?" Don't you ever forget it. ;)
Post a Comment
<< Home