Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Pure Joy

Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds...

I admit it.

I signed up for a "14-Day Free Trial!!!"

I didn't think I would ever do it.

All I wanted was one song download, legally acquired. Out of their "1,137,339 and growing" songs, I thought it was a sure thing.

But no. I could tell by the sinking feeling in my stomach that I really shouldn't be entering my credit card number and "ordering" my free trial.

When I had discovered the absence of the desired song, I rubbed my hands together in preparation for a challenge. But when I found the "cancel membership" button clearly displayed, I was perplexed. They don't usually make it this easy.

They certainly don't. After inputting my reason for quitting so they could "serve me better," I clicked "continue," and was given...

...wait for it...

...a phone number!

I love phone numbers. I don't mind arguing with a customer service representative (ah, the irony of the job title!) that, indeed, I don't want the service and would like to make sure it is cancelled before I am charged for it.

In fact, I think I need some more free trials. Wisdom seems to be lacking.

...because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverence. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.

1 Comments:

At Fri Oct 14, 03:34:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a great connection: trials and "free trials"...who in their right mind wants to "sign up" for those? But if they "come upon us", then we would like to stick it out long enough to see the fruit of perseverence.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home