Ego On Ice
Winter is coming like a first-time student driver. A week ago the climate was mild for one day, but the heat wave that followed burned the fingers with which I reached for the sweater box.Last night, the cold blew in again with a clutch-popping lurch. Always a skeptic, I went sleeveless today. I was committed to not being cold, as one always is who wears summer clothes in October. Admitting to making a poor choice of clothes for the day was simply unacceptable.
I was fortunate that this cold wave was sustained, since my ego needed a cold pack after another bruising Scrabble game with the roommate. Either my luck is running out, I'm losing my touch, or she's just better than I am. I am still a worthwhile person, but my reasons for believing that continue to fall away. Eventually they will all be reduced to one, and that one will have nothing to do with me. It is and will be the grace by which I stand.
Oh, and I'm really cold now. It's brutal out there.


3 Comments:
tank called and left me a voice mail blaming my good mood on the cold spell that decided to slip in. btw: it was 59 degrees. not cold at all. perfect weather. perfect i say.
You maineiac! Actually, I agree--if I have some sort of wrap. I'm always in for self-preservation.
Okay, we're not playing Scrabble anymore if it's going to turn out like this. So you had some bad hands and I had one really good one (a word that you taught me). Gah.
Just thank the heavens that it may be too cold for tennis soon enough.
Post a Comment
<< Home