Friday, September 23, 2005

Reading Rainbow

In my chosen life path, my overriding occupation is reading. In the interest of better information for potential graduate students, I've compiled an annotated bibliography of recently, currently, or soon-to-be read books in my queue.

The Theory of the Leisure Class, by Thorstein Veblen

This seminal work I'd never heard of was written in 1899 and is famous for its use of the term 'conspicuous consumption.' The way it traces the cultural evolution of class structure based on economic forces is fascinating.

Li'l Abner: A Study in American Satire

Arthur Asa Berger, the primary name of scholarly research in comics, adapted his dissertation to become this book. The interests and justifications of this work being so similar to my own thesis project, it will likely serve as a jumping-off point for my research.

Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Bronte

This is a famous and widely-read novel for a reason. The intensity of the character sketch and spiritual exploration is indescribable. Reading the prose is like wine and honey flowing over the tongue. Perhaps some points of identification between me and the protagonist cloud my objectivity, but still this book holds treasure for any sincere seeker.

The Nanny Diaries, by Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus

This is a famous and widely-read novel among middle-class Anglo women. I have not started it yet, but it invokes comparison with Jane Eyre in the opening epigram. Such comparison it will mercilessly receive. But I've no doubt it will show some humor value, as all its sister novels do. I expect to enjoy it as far as is possible.

Common Culture, edited by Michael Petracca and Madeleine Sorapure

This textbook for the class I am instructing contains short readings from which the students ostensibly gather information for their papers. Some of these readings I find entertaining at first, but overanalysis tends to wear them out quickly. For a quick, critical glance over American popular culture, this might be a good read if it didn't cost over $50.

(No wonder teachers assign expensive books; they never have to pay for them themselves, and the burden of expense falls upon the unsuspecting and helpless pupils.)

Genre Analysis, by John M. Swales

Swales is a bigshot in genre theory, which, if chick lit were a bubbling stream, would be represented by a large snowdrift. It takes a long time to wade through it, but it is worth it and good for you. I believe he will be a helpful advisor as I take this turn for my thesis research.

Some of these might be better for a weekend curl-up read than others. The privilege of reading anything, however, is one for which I always want to cultivate gratitude in myself and others.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home