Friday, September 09, 2005

The Bar Exam

Student Quote of the Day: "I didn't see you at the bar last night, Miss S."

What I did say: "Good!"

What I did not say: "There has never been a time of my life in which that scene held any attraction for me. Never. It would have been a snap for me to be the best Baptist youngun in the South."

Perhaps I am genetically predisposed to be a stick in the mud. Perhaps I am to blame for having developed such a boring self. But I still see no reason for forcibly changing that self in order to find pleasure in something that is loud, expensive and dangerous. From a purely logical perspective, it would be a foolish move.

But I do feel the loss when it comes to understanding my fellow creatures. I have no comprehension and little sympathy for people who encounter trouble associated with these places. I feel like I have missed out on one of the basic common experiences of humanity and am living an impaired life in the global community.

A few short years might turn me into a ruler-wielding schoolmarm whose mission in life is to whack every drooping-eyed student. But now I just wish I knew what was so darned cool about hangovers.

3 Comments:

At Fri Sep 09, 12:58:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YOU, "stick in the mud"--"boring" ?????? THAT will be the day!!! It's cooling off here:-)

 
At Fri Sep 09, 05:02:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fellow "sticks," unite! We have more fun, anyway. ;-)

 
At Mon Sep 12, 12:53:00 PM, Blogger tank said...

Words from me don't seem too valuable in this area, as I am/was a member of the masses of humanity who...yeah. Logic is a good start, but that doesn't keep you from it, so never forget to thank God that He has something so much better for you. And I don't think that something is a ruler, saggy hose, your spectacles on a chain around your neck, hair in a tight bun...etc.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home