Sunday, August 21, 2005

Packing Heat

I haven't packed yet.

We're leaving at noon and I'm going to church between now and then. This time it will be no problem; I'm pretty fast at packing, though minor mishaps sometimes happen. For instance:

There was that time I left my carefully-packed suitcase on the couch when I departed for the six-hour journey east to Louisiana. Thankfully I never forget my laundry, which my brother and his wife always kindly allow me to wash in their facilities. I just needed to do it a little more quickly than planned.

In another trip to Louisiana, I simply omitted to bring shoes other than the flimsy sandals I was wearing. Aside from prematurely aging these by putting them through rain and mud, it caused but little inconvenience.

Then there was the time I was talking to my folks about my upcoming 1700-mile trip to their place. I thought my dad was being his usual cautious self when he asked, "You packed yet?"

"Oh no, I don't do that until the last day. It'll be fine."

"But don't you have to leave tomorrow afternoon?"

"No, not until the next day."

"You'd better look at your plane ticket again."

It's a good thing we had that conversation.

2 Comments:

At Sun Aug 21, 12:38:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about the time the suitcase was left in Spokane, and you were in California? You were packed, though. It just took UPS instead of the airplane. Ah, memories!

 
At Wed Aug 24, 03:43:00 PM, Blogger Lynn said...

Add one more tally under the 'common mishap' heading: forgot my toothbrush again. Bleah.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home