Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Sick Day

I just made my first "call in sick" call ever. The raw throat started Sunday evening, raged a little yesterday, and is continuing to make its presence known today.

One of the difficulties of making that sick call (especially if one is a hard-working, responsible employee) is that the time of day when one must make it is precisely the time quem knows quem will feel the best quem feels all day. Even though I do it against my own inclination, I still feel guilty for calling in sick when I feel as well as I do right at this moment.

Of course, the other 5,999,999,999 of you out there know where the malady will take you after this daily zenith: quickly downhill. I just want to do all my "going downhill" today so that tomorrow I'll be able to go in without crashing. I also got a "look" from my coworkers yesterday (when I mentioned my sore throat) that meant they would rather not have me that close to them. And so, it is probably best for all that I left work early and didn't go to choir practice.

This is how (in a 0.002 percent solution, I'm sure) the lepers must feel outside the city gates. It's no one's fault that they are ill, but that certainly won't restore them to perfect social integration. They probably don't even feel too badly all the time, physically; but that false sense of normalcy won't bring them inside.

I try not to imagine how my desk and work will look when I come back to it after someone else has clumsily covered for my well-oiled machine of productivity. I hate playing catch-up, and it will only get worse for every day I'm still sick.

Vitamin C, fluids, rest! Liberty, equality, fraternity!

3 Comments:

At Wed Mar 14, 03:05:00 PM, Blogger tank said...

I KNOW!! They say I get 2 weeks of vacation time, but what they're really saying is that they want me to leave for a week so they can destroy my desk. I was off my computer for an hour today and already some stuff got shifted around. People end sentences in prepositions when i'm around.

 
At Mon Mar 19, 03:43:00 PM, Blogger Jeff said...

I do hope you have recovered fully from your sick day. I also have this aversion to sick days for some reason. I know there have been several times when I should have taken one, but didn't.

The rest of this comment if fully off-topic, but I saw the following shirt online and immediately thought of you and the rest of my Scrabble playing friends. I thought you might like it. http://www.threadless.com/product/297/Well_This_Just_Really_Sucks

 
At Tue Mar 20, 08:32:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. My dear Swanbom, I think you overanalyzed the sick day. ;) Just a tad...
I hate taking them, but at times, it is necessary. Just rest easy and hopefully, it will be over soon and you will be back to normal. :)

By the way, don't feel guilty, most employers plan sick time into your yearly calendar. You aren't anything like the others who take advantage of that time off to go play. (I will admit to doing that once)
-flic

 

Post a Comment

<< Home