A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
...seven, eight, nine, ten.Oh, hello, neighbor! You caught me at the tail end of counting up my toes for the night! Don't want to let any of these piggies slip away in the sub-freezing temperatures!
Both bus-riding and snow-dwelling are new to me this winter. I've purchased a monthly pass and a wool coat, and things couldn't be better. Well, maybe a little bit better. Not quite conversant in bus routes and times yet, I stood at the bus stop about 25 minutes the other night in not-very-sensible shoes. The cold ground insidiously sucked out of my feet one joule of energy at a time until wiggling them became both painful and necessary. The wool coat kept the trunk of my body quite comfortable, but my extremities couldn't help but have close contact with the freezing ground. A eighth-inch of hard rubber is hardly comforting insulation.
All the books I'd read about stamping feet to warm them and stomping bits of snow off of shoes outside doors actually mean something to me now. Standing in the wind I thought of Jack London's "To Build a Fire" and was thankful for my coat and the bus that (I thought) was coming. It came about twenty minutes later than I expected it.
So far, I recommend bus-riding and snow-dwelling. Both are a source of satisfaction for a newly working girl in search of an adventure. Make sure you check the bus schedule before you go out, though. You could lose a toe.


2 Comments:
we're still waiting for our first significant snowfall, but we definitely have the cold weather (3 degrees Fahrenheit yesterday morning). I think I take snow for granted, but your new-found admiration for it is contagious. :)
I miss snow. There wasn't any in Minnesota when I was there. Can you send some my way? It's actually cold enough at night down here in Texas.
Post a Comment
<< Home