Friday, July 29, 2005

Home Sweet Home

One of the recommendations for my nearly spent roll of film was that I should take pictures of Stephenville's lovely oddities. Come with me on a short tour of the sights.


I spent many months here regretting that I was no longer in Longview. It gave me some comfort to know that businessmen here are just as odd in how they choose to advertise their businesses as East Texas Funeral Home, also known as Casket-on-a-Stick.

Just down the street from the mondo-contact, there is an eating establishment which quite escaped my notice the first, second, and possibly third time I passed it. Finally, I read all the text on the sign:


Aside from the tantalizing idea of "burgers y mucho mas," it didn't seem remarkable. But after hearing more than one person speak of it, I had to laugh at where I found myself. I am not exaggerating when I say the name of the restaurant is generally pronounced: chi-HOO-ah-HOO-ahz. No, not "chiWAwas." That would be unthinkable smack dab in the middle of Texas. What a difference a couple of hyphens make.

Closer to home, only several hundred yards away from where I live, there is another quaint establishment:


I have no more to say of it. Dear little Stephenville.

2 Comments:

At Sat Jul 30, 05:29:00 AM, Blogger tank said...

chi-hua-hua burgers? don't they only do that in China??

 
At Sat Jul 30, 05:40:00 AM, Blogger Samantha said...

hehehehehehehehe

 

Post a Comment

<< Home