Yee-Haw!
After a full week of thinking about American dialects, I get to take a sampling this weekend at the Gainesville rodeo. I have found that my life is uncompartmentalizable. What I mean by this made-up word is that I cannot study or do anything that does not somehow inform everything else I do. No matter how much fun I have with TANK this weekend, I will probably be hypersensitive to dialect issues simply because I've been thinking a lot about them of late.I doubt I am the only one who has observed this about myself. But I can only speak for myself when I say this is probably why I'm addicted to school. It is simply too fascinating; everything has some bearing on life, no matter how simple and obvious-sounding or dense and academic-sounding it is. I may not get to what my teacher calls the "so-what" right away, but simple observation is so interesting that I will give it up with a certain amount of regret next spring.
Perhaps I am an incurable academic. But I hope somehow also to be an effective real person. See previous post.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home