New kid on the writer's block
I've never seriously set out to write a book before. Check that one off the list, I guess.Of course, that logically and correctly implies that I've never finished one either. That must be what really takes the blood, sweat and tears. I suppose I'll find out if I follow through as I intend.
Notice I didn't say I mean to publish one. That part has yet to be decided or pursued. The goal of the entire enterprise would have nothing to do with earning money, so the idea of publishing would appeal more to a desire to distribute a message. Unfortunately, in most of my writings I've never been sure what the message will be until they are almost complete. So, unless I get to that bloody, sweaty, teary phase of the process, I may never know what my purpose is. You may see where this is going: without a purpose, will I manage to get that far?
A main reason I've never tried this before is I hate cliches, fluffy, nice-sounding words and meaningless "inspirational" drivel. Unfortunately, the truth often sounds similar to these things. I can't even use the word "hope" without rolling my own eyes, but how else am I to talk about being OK in crappy circumstances because the story is not over?
The main reason I'm trying it now is that write I must. It's a way-based decision, not an outcome-based one. If I'm as gifted as some tell me in a tiny niche of an overcrowded craft, what I have to say will still pierce through the rhetorical soup and touch somebody.
"Touch somebody." Oh, dear. That doesn't sound too promising. I hope somebody doesn't mind one or two harmless cliches.


4 Comments:
"He who began a good work in you." God will lead you through the process (cliche?) Encouraging others through your word usauge will always be one of your gifts...book or not. Everyone has a story. Not everyone can articulate the truth from their story. I think you and God are a pretty good team and I'd like to put in my request for a copy of your book.
Loving cheerleader,
AS
I love that part: The story is not over. There are a lot of loose ends of which I am excited to see the denouements!
I just hope that you will let me read it when the time comes -- published or not. When writing is "a way-based decision" as you so perfectly put it, meaningless drivel is nowhere to be found. Here's to your story, with all its honesty and un-cliched hope. ::clink::
Lynnie, Hurray!!! I knew that when you had "something to say", you couldn't help but write! I am so pleased and know that, cliche or not, I will enjoy every word and God will be lifted up. I don't know where we fall on the list of loving fans but please count me AND granddad in somewhere.
Much love and cheers from this cheering section.
Post a Comment
<< Home