Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Jane Eyre II: "Resurgam"

Helen Burns, on her death bed, comforts Jane:

"I believe; I have faith: I am going to God."

"Where is God? What is God?"

"My Maker and yours, who will never destroy what He created. I rely implicitly on His power, and confide wholly in His goodness: I count the hours till that eventful one arrives which shall restore me to Him, reveal Him to me."

"You are sure, then, Helen, that there is such a place as heaven, and that our souls can get to it when we die?"

"I am sure there is a future state; I believe God is good; I can resign my immortal part to Him without any misgiving. God is my father; God is my friend: I love Him; I believe He loves me."

"And shall I see you again, Helen, when I die?"

"You will come to the same region of happiness: be received by the same mighty, universal Parent, no doubt, dear Jane."
...
Her grave is in Brocklebridge churchyard: for fifteen years after her death it was only covered by a grassy mound; but now a grey marble tablet marks the spot, inscribed with her name, and the word "Resurgam."


Many readers, such as I in my first perusal, would think the relation of Jane's childhood years is a little too lengthy, too slow, too unrelated to the main plot of the novel. There are many reasons to dispute this, but here is just one. This last paragraph shows that Helen and her influence never leave Jane's mind, as Jane undoubtedly erected the tombstone which testifies to Helen's future resurrection.

And what influence is that? Undoubtedly, Helen leans toward universalism, believing that God will somehow redeem all of "what He created" -- and undoubtedly there are biblical and doctrinal causes to disagree. But even if we cannot quite agree with Helen's creed, does not our own Apostle's Creed leave it to Jesus to "judge the quick and the dead"? Is not our duty to "rely implicitly on His power, and confide wholly in His goodness," leaving judgement and perdition within the jurisdiction of the one whose merciful death obscures our own deserving of it?

Helen's humble submission to a premature death, and her longsuffering in life, always touch me to the point of tears, but never more than now. I just returned home from what is presumably my last visit to my grandmother. She has never heard the word "resurgam" in her life, I'm sure; yet to look at her is to behold the sweet face of full confidence in God's goodness and the promised resurrection.

Human existence is confusing, with so many voices calling for our attention and trust; limited by our personal abilities, we cannot always judge correctly what to believe, and yet we must judge, especially when faced with an event so serious, so absolute as death. This is the reason that ignorance really is bliss, and with much knowledge comes much sorrow. Those with a penchant for serious reflection can, and often do, fall into the despairing depths of what cannot be known for sure.

But there are flashes, visions, stepping stones of truth which don't come from inside ourselves. I see Grandma's peaceful smile. I see the many gifts I don't deserve and still receive. I see billions who have gone before me believing, when pressed to the brink, that the river of death is the last, the only barrier to revelation and full understanding of what it all means. When I cross, I will finally know fully and be fully known.

As Tim Allen says in Galaxy Quest, "It's all true."

I knew it!

Labels:

4 Comments:

At Thu Jun 18, 06:36:00 AM, Anonymous Boom said...

Amen, sister. (PS: I forgot that I'd heard the word "resurgam" when I first read your title...until you quoted it. Dumb memory. Great word.)

 
At Thu Jun 18, 05:22:00 PM, Anonymous Nana said...

Oh, Lynn, what would we do, especially at our age, without the hope of that word "resurgam" or resurrection? It makes other "answers", or "hope", pale into insignificance; especially in times of real stess or problems of health.

 
At Sun Jun 21, 08:50:00 PM, Blogger Joker41NAM said...

Well, your grandmother isn't alone in not having heard that word. I had to look it up to make sure I was translating/guessing correctly.

 
At Fri Jun 26, 06:31:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

+500 bonus points for the Galaxy Quest reference. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home