Mary Sue and me
The red '93 Honda Civic which has been "my" car since the first time I ever pressed a brake pedal (and thought my mom had pulled the e-brake from the passenger side) turned 150,000 miles this week. I have a photo, taken a few weeks after I got my license, which indicates Mary Sue turned 60,000 in the summer of '98. She had only recently come to our family from a lovely older lady who sought a good home for her because she didn't have cruise control.This has been a terrific 90,000 miles together. Being Japanese, she has been hardy and uncomplaining through long journeys, rain, heat and snow. The very few times she hasn't worked on command, there has also been ample and unexpected provision for her repair.
I didn't name her until college, shortly after my computer was christened Emmy Lou. Emmy has been gone four years now, but Mary Sue has endured. She took me across East Texas many times, and if even once she had broken down on me I wonder how much more exciting this post might have been.
Several times I have been offered a good deal on a newer, supposedly more reliable vehicle. But, I remaining faithful to her, she has remained faithful to me. I couldn't have asked for more reliability from even a much newer vehicle. And now that her exterior is showing some signs of her age, she is a treasure in a jar of clay, hidden from those who might plunder it.
Mary Sue is a gift that keeps on giving. I have always felt unworthy of being one of those privileged high-school grads whose parents gave her a car, but my desire to care for her and use her well is an object lesson for how grace can be received in many situations. We can't exactly earn or make up for the gift we've received, but remembering it is a good motivator for reciprocation.
The old faith-vs.-works tension? Piece of cake. Mary Sue can tell you all about it.


1 Comments:
Of course, we who love you are very grateful to Mary Sue for taking good care of YOU! She knows when she has a good deal--loving care.
Post a Comment
<< Home