Monday, March 27, 2006

Open Toes, Open Wounds

I stubbed my toe.

If pain is God's megaphone, maybe he's trying to tell me something. I am so sore today that the toe-stubbing was only a brief and sadly bloody increase in it. The open-toed shoes which failed to protect the piggy who went to market had to be reassumed, since the only thing worse than an open wound is a covered one.

I didn't go work out, though. The blood was a perfect excuse not to do what I had planned to do for my own betterment. This way, the soreness will probably last longer.

What non-hackneyed symbolism shall I find here? Openness and vulnerability lead to hurt, obviously. Hackneyed. Wearing open-toed shoes represents a conscious choice that the exposure is worth the hurt. Hackneyed. The hurts we ask for like that sometimes prevent us from doing what we know we should. Getting there...

That is why we should guard our hearts. They are the wellspring of life, and overexposure dries up production of the life that is truly life. To boldly go where no man has gone before, carpe diem is crap--the Dead Poets version anyway.

Yes, I said that. Let the outrage begin.

1 Comments:

At Mon Mar 27, 06:21:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm. What kind of "overexposure"?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home