Thursday, July 07, 2005

Ebenezer

Samantha and I celebrated our freedom by spontaneously visiting Longview for the day on the 4th of July. Very hospitably, the sister of the fiance of a friend allowed us to hang out and play at her lake house. The friend even lent me her bathing suit (spontaneity can be quite inconvenient for one's friends). Another friend and I swam across the lake despite pronouncements by the proprietors of the household that we wouldn't make it that far. It was a ways, but it was doable.

They kindly invited us to partake in a barbecued supper, so we dried off and pulled the leeches off our--what?! Leeches?! Aaaaack! Yes, both of us swimmers had the little bloodsuckers attached to our legs. It was my first close encounter with them, and honestly, was one of those things that makes for a better story than actual experience.

As the sun moved on to lands westward, the neighbors across the lake gave us a spectacular fireworks show over the reflecting pool, and Samantha and I reluctantly departed such a perfectly relaxing day. On the way home, we watched an even better fireworks show in a far-off thunderstorm to our right.

I read some of my journal from last summer this morning. How faithfully God has healed wounds, calmed fears, answered prayers! How unexpectedly has he provided everything I need and withheld things I most certainly did not! How unfaithful have I been to acknowledge, thank and share him?



"Then Samuel took a stone, and set it between Mizpeh and Shen, and called the name of it Ebenezer, saying, Hitherto hath the Lord helped us."
I Samuel 7:12, KJV.

Here I raise mine Ebenezer.

1 Comments:

At Fri Jul 08, 06:43:00 AM, Blogger tank said...

Yeah...sharing Him...I just shared my testimony last night. Blah, they should give a person a day off after something like that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home