Nothing Like an Argument
I hate conflict, but boy do I love a good argument. I finally put my finger on it this morning. Articulating my point of view to someone who disagrees with me is by far the most effective way for me to come to terms with what I believe.We talked about freedom in Sunday School this morning. My church is highly chronological in its choice of subject matter. Thankfully we did quickly come from a discussion of the Pledge of Allegiance to what freedom means and why it is important. When "freedom in Christ" came up, we were in for it. One of the other thinking members of the class pointed out that being a Christian, with all its dos and don'ts, is harder and more burdensome than not being one. Much as we all wanted to jump all over him for this heresy, he had a very good point.
But it sparked an epiphany which will probably stay with me the rest of my life. Who is to say freedom is easier than slavery? When I was a kid, I had no choices in what I did. My parents pretty much dictated what would happen and when, and life was easiest when I conformed. Now I'm an adult, and I have a choice about virtually everything I do. Though it is undoubtedly better than my childhood "slavery," it is most certainly not easier.
Applying this to the idea of freedom in Christ and slavery to sin, I would agree that not taking up the cross is the easiest way to go. Remaining in slavery to the lusts of my flesh certainly requires no effort on my part. I can let myself be controlled by my sinful nature and be just as selfish and indulgent as can be. But now that in Christ I have the power to choose differently, which in my understanding is the definition of freedom, my life is harder. That doesn't mean it isn't better. Freedom is what we were created to have, and it will always be better than slavery.
"Jesus replied, 'I tell you the truth, everyone who sins is a slave to sin. Now a slave has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever. So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.'" John 8:34-36
To change the subject to something wholly unimportant but entertaining, Morgan Freeman is a talented actor. Here is a Batman Begins quote I enjoy very much:
Lucius: I analysed your blood and isolated its receptor compounds and it's catalyst based.
Bruce: Now you know I don't understand any of that.
Lucius: I know, I just wanted you to know how hard it was.


3 Comments:
Man, that movie was so fun. And I definitely love Sam from SS; he's so awesome. We don't see him nearly enough on Sunday nights.
Freedom, however. I can't remember the exact scripture, but your post made me think of how Paul said if we're all wrong about believing in God and Jesus and the Holy Spirit, then we're the ones to be pitied. I mean, really, if it's all just a bunch of hooey, then we could have been out there having 'fun' with the rest of the world.
I'll take the rules, however. I like the rules. They set me straight and untangle my brain; besides, I like knowing that even though I'm constantly reaming myself and asking forgiveness for my foolish human ways, I've still got a great God who loves and forgives me in turn.
Yeah, I've thought about freedom in Christ that same way as well, but you articulated it much more nicely...articulated...when I read your stuff I feel like I should use bigger words..hehe. Are you still coming to see me on Saturday?
I mean next week Saturday...or whenever you want...
Post a Comment
<< Home