Saturday, December 25, 2010

Diablog, Part II

Truth and Lies

Hannah: That verse about forgetting what is past and straining toward what is ahead is written on a note stuck to my wall, so I would see it going up and down the stairs. You see, because (possibly) of my various physical problems, a couple weeks ago I was engaged in full-on warfare. The verses posted all over my house testify to this! I even have a list of truth and lies in a journal. I FELT that I was separated from God. But we have Romans 8 for that, don't we? By the way, I printed out these verses in the penmanship of one of our favorite and most recent entrants into Heaven. I FELT that my weakness was a bad thing. But there we have it in Scripture, that when we are weak then we are strong. I FELT alone, but as you said, God's spirit is with me as a Comforter!

While my feelings are coming into more alignment with the truth, I am glad that they are not my only navigational tool. So, so glad.

Lynn: How old-fashioned to speak of “alignment with the truth”! Aren’t we supposed to adjust our version of the fluid concept of “truth” to fit whatever our shifting perception of the “real” world is at the moment? No? You haven’t been watching enough movies!

I’ve got a copy of that Romans 8 transcription too – in the journal in which I try to give words to the lies so that the Word of Truth can visibly overcome them. There’s something so very NOT fluid about the “death” part, knowing that the man who wrote them knew it was near. You run up against it and can’t psych yourself out of its absoluteness. Your wishes about it can’t change its chilling Fact. Or maybe, just maybe, it is tied to a Truth that you can’t change either!

As a Christian, I follow a living Person who didn’t just “believe in himself enough to come back from the deadness of spirit that tends to weigh upon the un-self-actualized human spirit blah blah blah...” He, er, actually came back from the dead – another jarring fact to those for whom truth has to be more “spiritual” than that.

How’s this for spiritual? There is a Truth, entirely defined and embodied in a Person. I don’t know it completely, but I do know something about it, and it’s not about to change when I’m miffed or inconvenienced. But I’m told that seeking the Truth (believing it and behaving accordingly when it’s found) is also seeking the Way and Life. So whether I’m feeling peppy or not, that's the direction I’m headed.

God help me, I’m headed to His country with the most beloved of Lewis characters: “While I can, I sail east in the Dawn Treader. When she fails me, I paddle east in my coracle. When she sinks, I shall swim east with my four paws. And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world in some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise ...”

1 Comments:

At Sat Dec 25, 03:47:00 PM, Anonymous Nana said...

You girls make me so proud and happy to know that you KNOW the one who knows you better than anyone else, loves you better than anyone else and will never leave or forsake you. Thus, I am comforted that you are and will be comforted and have all your needs supplied. "There is one who sticks closer than a brother" and we all know His name.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home